I agree the DNR mismanagement of the deer herd is very frustrating. "hey Frank lets let people shoot 5 deer a piece for 5 years straight." "Yeah good idea Bill" says Frank. 5 years later..."WTF there are no deer left Bill!" exclaims Frank. "I wonder why?" Bill says. (To be clear, I never took part in the 5 deer slaughter. We didn't have a population to support it. Not even close.)

For me personally, hunting is like this. I will usually bow hunt all season and pass up doe after doe, buck after buck waiting for a "nice" one to come along. I pass up smaller bucks in hopes that they are bigger next year and I also don't want my deer hunting to end right away unless its a nice buck. (1 and done on bucks in MN) Many times I have eaten bow tag soup and I don't care at all. I just love the experience of being in the woods and watching nature up close.

Now during shotgun and muzzleloader seasons, I'm not nearly as picky. I turn into a meat hunter then.

Last edited by Rooster7; 07/25/14.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...