Deer Camp Report as of Monday noon:

My tree swayed so much I am contemplating a career in bull riding. Cant be much harder, can it?

about 730, a fork horn showed up in my shooting lane. Pretty soon another fork and a couple does showed up and it was fun watching the interaction. The new fork was clearly dominant; they must have had it out earlier to determine who was boss.

Then about 830, a nice 8 pointer stepped into my shooting lane and we had a staring contest at 15 yards. He was as wide as his ears with good mass, but tine length wasnt really great. He looked like another year would make him a Cooper-esque type buck, so I decided to pass. He then spent about 15 minutes in 4 different lanes just trying to change my mind! I told him to stick around me cuz if he waltzes in front of anyone else in my party it would be venny sausage for him. Finally, after a sniffing my scent wick for about 3 minutes, he sauntered away. Passed on another fork later that night.

Sunday morning was calm and I thought they really might move, but they didnt. Saw one forky that I couldnt have shot. Sunday night, I had to dissapoint one of my boys as i can only bring one in the stand at a time. Man, that about broke my heart. But Wyatt was pretty pumped he got to go. We saw yet another fork horn that we passed up (I should say I passed up as if it was up to Wyatt, he would have got drilled!). Wyatt made me feel really good when he said out of the blue, "that was a great hunt Dad!".

This morning I could have spit on a doe, but no bucks. Gonna break Hunter out of school early and go sit again.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.