Alright, it has been a busy few weeks and I havent had a chance to post my brother's buck and story. Without further adeiu....

Brian hunted hard all season, dawn to dark on more than one day. He passed on half a dozen small bucks hoping for a shot at a nice one. We saw a dandy in the lights of the four wheelers one morning by our stands and I think that gave him hope.

the last day of the season and we arranged for a little drive. i had him go sit on the point of a 50 acre woods and Dad and I went to walk a willow lined creek that holds deer usually....but I have never seen a big buck there. We get into some cattails while walking and deer explode out everywhere...but no buck. Then another deer takes off. Another doe. We decide someone had to go into the knee deep water and see if there is anything else in there. So in I go. Another deer busts out.....but it too is a doe. I am now wet up to my knees and my waterproof boots are holding the water IN. Dad and I continue along and about 400 yards from Brian, a doe and a buck break out of the willows. A big buck. I hotfoot it out of the willows and I could have shot him at 80 yards, but it was in the general direction of where Brian was sitting, so I let it go. OH NO, it is turning the wrong way! I take off across the CRP yelling at the deer to turn back toward Brian. I like to say that I outran the buck with my waterlogged boots, but Dad seems to think it was the yelling that turned him. The buck runs over a small rise out of site, heading for Brian. Then silence (well, if you disregard the wheezing and huffing I am making anyway). About the time I am convinced it didnt work. THA-WUMPF.....THA-WUMPF. The buck ran right down the fenceline that Brian was sitting on. His first shot was about 12 yards coming pretty much right at him. The second was at 7 yards. Two great shots and the deer went 20 more yards. 18 inch inside spread, 9 points and one pretty excited 14-year old boy!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.