had an interesting thing happen today. had a run in with some folks yesterday who were in the wrong area, hunting on private land (that only I had access to) and managed to screw up my dad's hunt (again). there was a heavy 10 or 12 pointer headed for us when one of these guys shot a small 10. I headed over to them, found the guy on private land, he tried hiding etc, denied he was there over the line, even though his tracks were in the snow. long story short he almost hit me shooting at a wounded deer as I was walking up the road. I had enough and called him in. cost him and his buddies a bunch, I can't disclose it, but they will likely have empty wallets and bellies.

anyway, after that dad and I kept hunting. this morning I was on kiddo detail so I couldn't go out, but when dad got to the spot we park he found a fresh skull from an 8 pointer that was heavy. fit the description of the one I lost. he showed me the pics and sure enough, fits him to a Tee and time of death fits for decomp/freshness. I couldn't believe it, seems as though the deer gods rewarded us for protecting their deer with bringing at least the head of the deer I lost. kinda struck me as odd how it all happened, just one of those things you nod in appreciation, not try to figure out how it happened and appreciate that it did. I'd sure like the meat more than the rack, but if thats all I get for my punched tag there's no sense in all of it going to waste. as BM said he will get a spot on my wall and serve as a constant reminder of how fragile life is and how much we need to appreciate these critters we harvest for food. thats about all I got for now. just felt compelled to share that.

Dave, the pics look awesome! wish I were there. Tom, I wish you coulda spanked ol forky toes. looks like a great time was had by all. seeing those pics, I can smell the smells and feel the feels if that makes sense smile

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.