Thanks, guys.

It's an oddly shaped 9 point. Normal height, but really narrow. Pretty heavy antlers with a double brow tine on the left. He only weighed 105 lbs, so I suspect that he was a 1 1/2 year old deer. (We've taken a couple 7 pointers from my place that were both 1 1/2 year olds)

He was the first deer I saw today. He just sort of popped out of the pines about 45yds away and I gave him a 120gr Sierra softpoint in the near shoulder from my 7-08. Bullet punched and broke the shoulder, separated the heart/lung plumbing and exited just behind the far shoulder. He ran about 35 yds and piled up.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Exit hole. This is the third deer I've shot with these 120s from my 7-08 with a MV of 2,960 fps. Each time I've gotten full penetration and clean kills.

[Linked Image]

My quad is on the fritz so I drove the truck out to pick up the buck and managed to get stuck. I had to walk up to the house and get my wife and my work truck and a shovel to get it out.

[Linked Image]

All told I saw about 8 deer today with 3 of them being bucks. It was a good opener and I'm thankful to be successful. Now that the pressure is off I'll start taking the kids out and get them used to sitting and being patient. My little boy is especially excited to go out with me and I'm looking forward to it.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile