Had a wonderful hunt in the Black Hills. Easily seeing over 50 deer a day, 5-15 bucks a day, and some true big boys. I hit the peak chasing right on the money. Every group of does was being harassed a buck of some sort. At one point on Saturday evening I saw 24 does all being chased around by one rutted up 6pt.

Saturday morning the bigger boys were out and the does were running, literally sprinting. Every doe I saw was on a full blast all out run, and a buck was a few seconds to a few minutes behind her/them. Saturday two does came from a clearing running past me at 20 yds. I thought I should probably grab my rifle next to me and sure enough.... A buck was in hot pursuit. He hit my scent and stopped. I got the rifle on him, saw he was a big body, wider than the ears, and 8pts.

The M70 barked and he dropped at the shot. Win M70 fwt, 7x57 Mauser, 140gr Federal blue box.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ryan swung over and helped me load it. He was out with his mom hunting the same area. We headed back to Ryan’s for some awesome cajun bacon and eggs, then got to cutting. Ryan capped the deer for the taxidermist, and we 1/4’d him and got it packaged for cool down and cooking!

I can’t thank Ryan and his family enough for all they’ve done for us in the last few weeks.

You can see on the first two pics he was a battler. His face is scared up and his ear was split it 2 spots. He must be a hockey player. grin

Some pics of the country.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Camp is where you make it.