Hey all, we've been kinda sad with all that's been going on with Uncle Dusty so I thought I'd post this story I put over on the Turkey Hunting thread.

It's copied from there...

I got to share a great WI turkey hunt with my boy this past weekend. It was a big deal because he got to skip school on friday to come with his dad and uncle on a hunt. He has been doing well in school and he'd learn some lessons on our trip anyway. wink

On Saturday morning, we set up at the bottom of a ridge I call Roosting Ridge...well they weren't there. At 5:15 there was a gobble 40 acres to the west, then a jake a bit closer. With Jack sitting with me, a jake would have bit the dust. I waited a bit a longer and gave him a few soft yelps.

A gobble sounded a bit closer, so I waited about 10 minutes and hit him again. Gaarooobleoobble! He sounded off within 300 yds so I put the call away and told Jack he was coming, but "DUH" he already knew that. smile

I saw him cross the road toward us about 200 yards out and he went in the woods. I was tempted to hit the call but I held off and he popped out of the bushes into a hay field by us and strutted a bit. I had two feeding hen dekes out and then "soft yelped" a few times to turn him our way. It worked!

He picked his way from about 100 yards to what I thought was about 30. My boy was getting pretty antsy so the tom was nervous and started to "half-strut" then looked like he'd seen enough...so I told Jack I was going to shoot and hit the go switch. Down he went!

All I could hear as I kept the bead on him was "YES, YES, YES!!!" and a 7 year old jumping up and down. smile

I had a VERY excited littly boy and a pretty happy dad. The hunt took about 45 minutes from start to finish! Perfect for getting a boy hooked, not so good because he thinks "turkey hunting is easy." When I asked him his favorite part about turkey hunting he replied exactly like I expected...We got to go for pancakes.

He has a 9 3/4" beard, 7/8" spurs. I don't know the weight other than he was heavy.

[Linked Image]

Camp is where you make it.