Originally Posted by fluffy
I solved the crud ring problem,by only having to shoot
once.

laugh

possibly I might be better off from using 3f powder,which means I use a 10% smaller charge,and I use T/C bore butter to lube ,which is supposed to be better than some other products.I also use T/C bore cleaner and water to clean.
T/C used to advertise you could fire your sidelock 1,000 times between cleaning,if you used their products.

from T/C's website

"Has Natural Lube 1000 Plus Bore Butter been tested?

It's easy. The first step is to remove all traces of oil from your muzzleloader by cleaning the bore with hot water and a detergent. Then coat the bore with Bore Butter using a patch or swab saturated with it. From that point on, never allow a petroleum based lube to interfere with the Natural Lube. Use bullets prelubricated with Bore Butter, and when cleaning, use an all-natural bore cleaner like our No. 13. As you continue to shoot, you will be slowly seasoning the bore and will notice that very little fouling builds up. Loading will remain easy from shot to shot, and cleaning will be a snap."

". Is T/C's Natural Lube 1000 Plus Bore Butter really that good? How does it work?

It sure is, and if you've got some friends, who are using it, ask them. Our All Natural "Bore Butter" is absent of any petroleum based oil, and contains an ingredient which seasons the bore with repeated use, just as you would season a cast iron skillet. Tar, used to pave highways, is made by heating petroleum based oil. In other words, heat plus petroleum oil equals tar! That's what causes the heavy fouling when shooting a muzzleloader with conventional petroleum based lubes. The problem of heavy fouling was one not encountered in the old days, as the oils used then were all natural' whale oil, bear fat, deer tallow, etc. Petroleum based oils were not discovered until the mid-1800's, and during the Civil War, fouling did become a problem."

bore butter

Those are the only products I've used in my TC. I'm certain I've had that rifle for over 10 yrs, maybe 12?

I guess I'll just be patient. Maybe the bore will be magically "seasoned" by the time my great, great, great, great grandchildren shoot it.

Lol!

I do use muzzle loader 209 primers as well.

Friends of mine with $95 kit package inlines can dump any old crap powder down the barrel, I swear they can spit their snus down the tube before pushing the bullet down if they like. Boom, boom, boom, all day long. I'll ask them how many shots before you have to clean it? They just look at me all funny.... "Clean it?"

Then they spit, then laugh... Then shoot it until they run out of crap powder and bullets and regular shotgun shell 209's.

Then they go home and throw it under the bed or in the closet.

Then they lay awake in bed at night... "Does Dave actually clean his muzzle loader? Should I clean mine? Nawwww..."

smile

Something clever here.