Originally Posted by northern_dave
I put on the serious face today for a moment to reflect on the life and ways of a man. A great man that unknowingly became the bonding source that drew a rag tag crew together in Minnesota's north woods. A broad range of ages spanning multiple generations. This crew came together with one thing in common. A great loss, pain, a void in our hearts.

It's all still there, the pain and the void. But we've leaned on each other for 4 years now and we will continue.

4 years ago we huddled clumsily together looking for a direction that could help carry us forward from a great loss. We've all fought our own battles internally, privately. But we have formed a unit in which we work together to find good times, adventure, fun etc.

We built a shack in the woods, it started with that. A deer camp. But it became so much more than a deer camp. It became a hub, a place to get together. Construction, maintenance, ATV rides, snowmobiling, berry picking, fall colors and small game hunting, deer stand work, trails, game cam experiments...

And that's just the stuff we did at the shack in the woods called Camp Chickenbuck.

As a group away from the shack we've ice fished, sturgeon fished, tournament fished. We've hunted elk in Colorado, we've explored several different areas within the boundary waters canoe area. These things and many more.

We're strong, we're living and doing new things, fun things. We laugh, we think, we plan, we do. We do things, we�re out there living life.

I'm proud of everybody, you all know who you are because your hearts are heavy on this day. If you are looking here for something on this day, I'm here and I'm looking too. I'm out here for you though, and I will be for as long as my life permits.

For the parents that lost a son, children that lost a father, wife that lost a husband, sister, cousins, friends.. I want to say nice work everybody. I'm proud of our accomplishments over the past 4 years and I know Waylon is too.

It's important to remember, it's natural to hurt, but it's also important to keep moving.

So remember the man with his work ethic, a provider with a vision. A father with patience and affection. An outdoorsman with bear hunting, deer, waterfowl, archery, fishing and many more interests. A friend that would help you shingle a roof, move to a new house, fix a car or whatever you needed. A proud man that didn't take any handouts, hard working and patriotic.
Full of humor and love for life, he had a great big smile and a great big laugh. And he used both quite regularly.

Hoist a drink, say a prayer, plant a flower, do whatever you like but don�t forget to give yourself a pat on the back too.

Move forward and incorporate his strengths into your life. He had many strengths so it really isn�t too difficult to choose some. (one that I choose is showing affection and having patience with children. Waylon was a blackbelt ninja master in this area)

Here�s to the life of Waylon, lost too soon but not lost on us and certainly not lost in us.

Now I�ll take the serious face off as he wouldn�t care too much for it.

There�s a long weekend coming up and an open invite for some cabin time that could include an ATV ride, deer stand inspection/work, relaxing, bonfire� Some world class panfishing at a nearby state park lake if we so choose. Many options I can think of and I'm open to any other plans as well.

I�m winging it, open to ideas and suggestions, just plain open I guess.

Dave

Well said my friend. I read this with a heavy heart today. Thank you for being "the guy" to pull it all together Dave. You truly are an amazing person. One Waylon would be very proud of.

I happen to be coming up your way on saturday for a baptism. I think I'll throw the wheeler and a fishin pole in the back of the truck. You know....just in case I find somewhere to put them to use... whistle

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...