Tz, it was GRAND! It was a series of National championship matches of different disciplines over a 2 week period. I shot poorly in some of them (lever gun silhouette) and fairly well in some others. But the big match for me is BPCR silhouette. Basically it is buffalo rifles on the high power silhouette range with iron sights over 2 days. That was the last match and I did well there winning my class and coming in 5th over all I believe. Had a sudden death shoot off and won that on the first shot. So, it was a great time.

For you guys with kids that like to shoot, the Whittington center is available to all NRA members. They have full service campgrounds, primitive campgrounds, and even some small cabins that they rent to individuals or families. You can go and just have fun shooting at the different ranges or you can shoot in the national matches (depending on the disciplines you aspire to).

At the Cowboy Lever Silhouette matches there are lots of families - some are 3 generations and everyone from grandma to little sis shoot and compete. They come year after year. The .22 BPCR silhouette is similarly attended by families and mixed generations, etc.

People come from all over - including 4 people from Australia this year. All that way for a single 2-day match. Great fun and the Whit is something like 60,000 acres of beautiful SW oak/pinion/grassland with mountains to the north and plains to the south.

Go for a day, a week, a month or all summer. You just can't beat it.

This commericial will now end - with a few picts from several years of shooting there every summer.

A view from the 1000 yds line - the funnest shooting ever
[Linked Image]

1000 yds and 3.5 seconds from muzzle to target
[Linked Image]

Mike Venturino (well known gun writer and author) bearing down on a jumping steel chicken at the silhouette range
[Linked Image]

Wildlife wander with impunity around the Whit like here in the middle of a relay on the silhouette range. Deer and antelope and bears are dime a dozen. There are 324 steel targets on this range alone.
[Linked Image]

This woman is showing my shooting partner some pins she won at matches at Bisley (she came over from England). She is hell with a flintlock, but the buffalo rifles were no so good to her.
[Linked Image]

Well, that's all that I have handy. Not many scenery shots but there is beautiful scenery in all directions. and many more shooting ranges than just the few shown here.

Sorry for all the lengthy commercial, but you might get the idea that I sorta like going there.
Brent

Save an elk, shoot a cow.