Originally Posted by northern_dave
Well, remember what I said about making sure you aren't too nice to your old fords?

Well I crawled under the old plow truck with some 80-90 weight oil and a grease gun. Filled the differntials, the front axle knuckles, transfer case, transmission, rear diff. Then started greasing.

I discovered a bad u joint on the transfer case input. So I replaced it.

Then I went to start the truck to back it out of the garage... click-click...

Well I knew the starter had been hanging up on the flywheel & not kicking back, acting up pretty terrible actually. Well it just plain died right there tonight.

So, I pulled that damn thing off and tore it apart. Ouch! Starter drive linkage busted and the drive gear looked pretty bad. Plus the whole thing was just full of dirt.

Well I robbed guts out of the starter that busted on the 77 half ton earlier this week and junk yarded a starter together. I decided to replace the cable from the solenoid to the starter too.... which lead to a broken solenoid crazy

I had an extra out on the blue donor truck...

Good news is the starter is awesome, hasn't cranked like that for a couple of years.

Bad news is while I was goofing around under the hood I noticed that the water pump is on it's way out. Pump shaft is very loose, I'm sure it's been leaking antifreeze.

Oh and the snowmobile with what I thought was a broken chain, well the chain is fine, it turns out the upper drive housing bearing is gone. I'm afraid it's so bad that the housing is shot.

It never ends.

yikes! aint that the way it goes, look at the bright side when you're done you'll have fixed everything on them there machines and won't have to worry about em for another 30 years

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.