After doing some more reading I strongly suspect we are going with the Model 88, he is 10 by the way T zone, my other was 8 last year when he took his first deer.

The regs dont address anyone under 12 hunting deer. Other then those over 12 must have hunters safety.

My position is I am the one that is responsible for them, safety and maturity wise. They showed me that they are ready although it will be a few years before they go it alone.

It would be interesting to have a CO cite me or my kid for underage hunting I would fight that one all the way. I would love to show the judge that this kid isnt ready when he is able to take a one shot kill at 300 yards with a .243, and can do it repeatedly over and over. His brother was responsible enough to pass on 5 deer due to safety reasons, he was concerned the rain would have washed the blood away, there were cars coming from both directions, wasnt comfortable with the shot, etc. I was prouder of him making those decisions then him pulling the trigger.

If the tradition of deer camp is to continue the kids must be involved in one way or another.