Thank you for posting boxerdog. Don't be sorry for anything. Very sorry to hear about your troubles. housing market has got to be tough right now.

I certainly hope you land on your feet & get that ole 300 savage back out in the game.

I love the model 99's. Heck who doesn't? they have an absolute cultish following!!

It is one of the rifles that still evades me, I have had an affection for the savage 99 and oddly enough also the winchester model 88. Both are somewhat similar in the way that they are lever actions that fire pointed center fires. I have my 88 and I love it. I purchased it right here on the campfire classifieds, did really well on it from a gentleman from AZ if I remember correctly. I have since refinished the stock & mounted a fixed 4X leupold scope on it & I just love hunting with it. Mine is a .308

Look here, we'll do just like we would at deer camp when a feller is kind of proud of a rifle & wants to show it to his buddy. i'll just walk over to the home made gun rack over along the wall here & pull this ole 88 out of the rack & hand it to ya with the little glimmer of pride in my eye... here check it over...

Here it is, I did a refinish with a birchwood casey colonial brown stain and a hand rubbed linseed oil finish.
[Linked Image]

Here look at the stock up close, I'm pretty proud of how the finish came out..
[Linked Image]

look a little closer, i know most guys are pre 64 this & that but I really am fond of the impressed basket weave & oak leaf cluster printed in this piece of walnut..
[Linked Image]

here's a look from the fore end. a nice shot of the oak leaf cluster up there.

[Linked Image]

there, don't that feel like deer camp?

i'd like to have a look at that ole 99 some day & hear about it's stories.

thanks for posting boxer, best wishes & don't be a stranger.

Dave

Something clever here.