Originally Posted by Colorado1135
Thanks!

Since I was a teenager I always wanted to shoot a deer on my own property, kind of a bucket list thing ya know.
I've shot deer on land I rented but that didn't count, I now have a spot open on my bucket list after this deer. Thankful doesn't touch what I'm feeling. Only thing better will be when we're living out there and I watch my kids whack a big one.

I grew up hunting public land from a camper camp that was started by my Dad & his brothers. Later as an adult I bought an old farm house on 20 acres. It was always a dream to be able to hunt just outside my back door. Its been more than 25 years & I'm still here, the hunting has gotten even better. My only complaint is that I miss the deer camp tradition. Now days I live it through text & phone calls with my Dad & brother. Dad is almost 93 and this is the first year that he has not hunted. He clearly has the interest but age has taken the fun out of it. He has a pair of binoculars by his window and watches the occasional deer behind his house. There is something special about Deer Camp. That's why I follow this thread before anything else here on the fire.

Yesterday was opening day here in Mi. and I was lucky enough to take an unusual buck late morning as he chased a doe out in front of me. There was very little blood and even with some snow I had a difficult time finding him. After losing the track several times I finally found a few drops of blood and that lead me to him. I had walked within 30 yards of him once already. It pays to keep looking, I was starting to get that bad feeling that I was not going to find him. Besides the big fork on one side there is a double brow tine on the other.
Tzone, I traded the 760 for the old Savage this year. I hate to see them sit to long. This one is 71 years old. Good luck everyone.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]