The glycol acts as a penetrant because it's hydroscopic. Make sure you use enviromentally safe stuff. Typically that is whats used in RV water tanks for winterizing. You want to get it undiluted otherwise you will be boiling off 50% of it.

http://www.environmentsensitive.com/effectiveusesofborate.htm

Termites ingest the treated wood and the borite compound kills their gut bacteria. Same with wood ants. The powdered stuff dries out roaches and some other insects.

I'd apply at least three treatments to the rough structure with drying time between. Even on pressure treated wood.

I had a situation where my tenant did not report a leaking toilet. The underside of the floor got really mildewed, it even had green mold on it. The walls arond the area where also affected. I mixed up a batch of trimadore, which is the same thing as boracare except it's in hot water rather that the glycol. 4 applications in a weeks time completely destroyed the mold. Molds cannot grow in the presence of borites.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.