The rest of the story.

Half way to Rapid City on the way out we got a call from my Nephew telling us my sister had a stroke and was going into surgery to relieve the pressure on her brain. Nothing we could do so on we went. Got to Triangle X the next day and Lucas, one of the ranch managers, and our guide. Ask if we minded hunting from the ranch for a couple of day as the elk were not coming out of Yellowstone. We said sure. The next morning after getting to the trailhead we started up the mountain. Just before sunrise we approached a large meadow and saw 10 elk crossing. All bulls. Wife and I saw 7 of them about 1000 yards out. We worked our way around trying to get ahead of them but never could. We did come across 8 or so mule deer does.

We worked our way to a high point over the next several hrs. and had a nice view of a lot of good looking country. Had our lunch there and glassed for a few hrs. Did see one Mule deer buck come out a feed in the big meadow about a mile away. About 2pm we started working the clearing back towards the big meadow. At the big meadow sat and watched the area we thought the bulls might come out. No luck.

Started back down the Meadow a spotted a bull about 600 yards out. Too far for the a shot. That bull just paced us all the way down the meadow never letting us get closer than 600 yards.

We worked into the trees at the end of the meadow a cut some fresh elk track and grizzly in the elk tracks. Followed the down the trail to some fresh beds. Short time later as we neared another clearing we tied up the horses and went on foot. At the clearing we found the elk feeding. About 12 or so cow and one bull. Bull was 400 yards out and the wife made a good shot and elk was down. We kept a sharp lookout while dressing out the elk as we knew the bear was in the area. Halfway through taking care of her elk two other bulls walk out about 400 yards away. I shot right over ones back, was really less than 300, and I held for 400. They walked back into the trees and we finished with the elk.

We got on the horses and started for home. About 200 yards down the clearing Lucas say "they are back" They were now 200 yards away and it was starting to get dark. I got off the horse took my rifle kneeled down and Lucas said the one on the left is the one you shot at before so I put the crosshairs on him and bang flop. Now we had another elk. We took care of him with light from our headlamps. Then the ride out in the dark.

On the way back to the ranch we told Lucas about my sister and that we would be cutting the trip short. All in all a great trip. My cousin and his wife arrived at the ranch, we were going to be hunting with them. They went to camp as we started home. Got word that She got her first elk last Wed. A nice 6x6.

Last edited by TJAY; 10/28/19.