Originally Posted by Rooster7
How far will a turkey travel to a call?

That's a big question and I wish I had a good answer for you other than this one.

They're all different. The bird Jack and I got last year came across about 60 acres to us, including a road and two weedy ditches. That's not very typical that they'll cross that much "stuff". Often times when they need to cross all that, they hang up on one of the obsticals and will stop, gobble his fool head off at you and strut til he gets bored.

Turkey hunting is backwards from nature. Normally, the gobblers are calling to the hens, and the hens go to him. Not the way we try to make it, as we sit and call to get him to come to us.

Some won't even give you a second thought. Those are usually the birds that are "hen'd up". He has his herem and doesn't need to come to you, but is letting you know where he is and you're welcome to the party.

Some will come to you until they're distracted by a hen that was in between you and he, often times unseen. This happes A LOT! But sit tight for a bit if you have that happen. Because sometimes a jake, a group of jakes, or a few toms that just have been beat around by boss tom's or jakes, will sneak to you, withough making a peep. THOSE are dead birds IMO. If you have that happen, they'll usually come right to you, but without making a sound. You'll get them!

Some will literally come RUNNING to you on a string. You'll think it can't be this easy (and it isnt grin ). But that's what happened last year from me and jack. That sucker REALLY wanted to kiss us goodmorning.

The best possible set up I can get (IMO) is to find where they roost, find where they eat in the morning, and get in between them. Call, if you get a gobble or two, smile, sit quite, and wait. If you hear hens answer you, stop calling. They'll come find you, and guess what follows them? If your tick off the hens by being too agressive and/or loud, they'll pull that tom around you or in different direction all together.

Drive around after work and look for birds eating. They'll typically be pretty close to there in the morning at flydow. Or, get up really early and see if you can get one or two to gobble at you a few days before your season starts. You can do the same thing just before dark, sometimes called "putting them to bed".

Camp is where you make it.