Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
Originally Posted by Northern_Jim
New to 99's

Wondering just how new you are to 99's ?

I got my first one last year but not in time to hunt with it. I really like it and after a lot of careful disassembly and cleaning I like it even more. It's a 1950 EG I believe in 300 Savage. I put an old "Ted Williams" Sears 4x scope on it (made by Weaver) after removing the Tasco 3x9. It clearly was hunted with but taken care of. Has an old well used leather sling that I like and it shoots pretty nice in the limited range time I had with it.
One thing I noticed that is pretty unique to these rifles is that the ser. # is also stamped on both parts of the stock and even the butt plate, all hand fitted parts I assume.

Would love to hear about anyone else's feelings on the '99 and if there is any preference between the factory 150 or 180gn bullet?

Don't know whether you know it or not, but there is a forum on the Campfire dedicated to Savage firearms and it is extremely heavy with knowledge and info on the M99. I would highly recommend you check it out. It's a tremendous resource.

Yes, I think I was cruising around after looking at that when I found this very interesting thread and noticed that a few of you had mentioned the 99. And the Rem. 760