My boy has been mowing lawns to earn some money this summer. He finally earned enough to get himself a new baseball bat for little league. So we headed down to the local sporting goods store to peruse their selection for this momentous purchase. We both got sticker shock at the prices...up to $500 bones for a freakin' bat!

Anyway, we went to a few other stores before he found one in his substantially less price range. He asked me if I thought it was as good as those others and I told him it had just as many hits in it as the expensive ones. Saw him quietly smile. It's the first thing he's ever purchased with money he's earned, so of course he is very proud of it...the wife saw that he had it lying next to his bed after he fell asleep.

Well last night was his first game with it and he's been in a no hit slump for the past few games...Sam went 4 for 4. It wasn't so much that he did well with it, but something about having pride of ownership in something earned. The boy was beaming. The smiling old man had quite a lump in his throat too. smile

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin