Originally Posted by northern_dave

My past 3 trips have been pretty simple trips up the Snake river to the isabella which dumps into gabro & bald eagle lakes. there is a narrows between the 2 lakes with some drop & a little bit of fast water. I've been told to fish that drop for walleyes & I've tried but with not a whole lot of luck.

actually I've done better for walleye at the mouth of the isabella.

But the main attraction for us in the gabro/bald eagle lakes.... and one other little honey hole.... are the huge northern pike.

Just a spool of black braided nylon, a bobber, a hook & an old stinky smelt.
Dave

Been there. Its a good spot for slime balls, if you're into them. A dead bait is perfect starting early July when warm-water stress kills lots of fish. A slime ball can grow fast when they don't have to expend much energy picking up dead stuff from the bottom. The walleye are likely at the river mouth for the same thing, and of course, the extra oxygen provided by moving water.
I hope you forgive me for not being impressed with big fish pictures. After spending so many years gill netting in super slime-ball lakes, I've seen some amazing fish. You should have seen some of the big fellas I've netted out of Saganaga, Big Pine, etc.
I hope the weather cooperates for you, and don't lose your food pack to those sneaky bears. We have bears that stake out portages, waiting for tourists to leave food packs at one end, so they can steal the packs.

There are many copies.