Made a trip to NoDak for ducks last week going through the great state of Manysodas taking a hard left at Fergus Falls. NoDak was as dry as I ever seen it. Ducks were scarce, probably the lull between the opener and the migration. We usually shoot limits so we planned on eating duck every day. Never cooked a one. Woulda starved if it hadn't been for the local cafe. Bought a case of shells and never got into them.

Prairie fires were a real concern. Even parking on dry grass you had to watch out. One of the locals talked about trying to get around a fire burning a full section and at the crossroads she watched 3 pheasants on fire get up, cross the road, and start a fire on the other side. Awful. Ditch chickens were everywhere, but we didn't have a license. I guess there's always next year.

Oh, dang near got a driving award from Minnesota's finest. Heading back home at 4am my world lights up on a dark two-lane. I get the "Do you know how fast you were going?" thing. I dunno, 70? "You were doing 73mph in a 60 zone." Sorry, right before Wapeton I think it was 70. "Son, you ain't in North Dakota anymore and Minnesota doesn't have any 70mph speed limits" Whoops, sorry...it's early and I'm still on my first cup of coffee. After what seemed like 20 minutes he gives me a warning and tells me I'm free to go. First time being pulled over in over 20 years. Never got over 65mph until I got over the Big Muddy.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin