We got the fresh firewood hauled home Saturday night and we put it all up in the wood shed yesterday, A lot of it needed to be split. I finally managed to bust the fiberglass handle on my 8 lb maul yesterday, lord knows I hated that 8 lb maul. I didn't miss and hit the handle or anything like that, it broke up inside the maul head. It was so blunt it was like swinging an 8 lb sledge and expecting the wood to pop. It's no wonder it broke, you really had to swing that thing if you wanted to split with it.

On our last elk trip Dusty picked up a nice 6 pounder in a feed/hardware type store in Craig. We've been very impressed with that 6 pounder and credited it's success to the shape of the head, much more axe shaped than my 8 lb wood smasher.

So yesterday afternoon we went into town and I found a nice 6 pounder with more of an axe profile like that one Dusty got in Craig. The handle section through the head is twice the diameter of the handle section thorough that 8 pounder too so it shouldn't break on me.

I finished splitting with that new one and wow, what a difference. It's got a little longer handle so I had to adjust my "aim" a bit, but swinging 6 pounds instead of 8 is a big difference. And the shape of the head helps it get into the wood and pop it open way better than the old 8 pounder.

That's all I got this morning, a wood splitting maul review.

Truper brand 6 lb maul: Good.

40 degrees windy and dark this morning on the bike. I might hang up the bike commute due to deer concerns rather than cold temps this fall. It's white knuckle riding at deer dark thirty in the morning.

Something clever here.