Originally Posted by northern_dave
Yesterday was the first day of our firearms deer hunt for youth hunters, an early season for kids.

I worked till 3,then Joey and I piled into the truck with a 220 swift and a 410 shotgun. (Shotgun was for birds on our way out to the hunting spot.)

We got out to camp chickenbuck around 4pm. We got up into Pam's enclosed deer stand and sat there drinking our waters and eating little 3 musketeer bars. We skipped into a silly imagination session where we joked about a "Rhino-roo" which is a 2300 lb rhino on kangaroo legs, very noisy sweaty animals, heavy breathers.... Loud jumpers.

Also flying "squrtles" which is a squirrel turtle. Turtle shell with squirrel head and legs, tries to fly and glide from tree to tree, not good at it though.

Then, the wind calmed a bit, 6:40 PM. I told Joe, "OK, lets quiet down now, we've got a real good chance here in these next 15 minutes.

6:55, Joe spots a nice doe straight ahead, 80 yds. He went into buck fever mode... Lol! It was awesome. I whispered "I'm going to help you buddy, OK?"

His eyes were huge, locked on target, he nodded his head yes. I helped with a guiding hand to slowly and smoothly lay the rifle barel out the stand window without clonking on anything. I clicked his safety off as he was taking aim. "Do you see it Joe?" He nodded yes, I told him go ahead if you've got a nice shot. BOOOM!

Hahaha!

Straight down!

Little 50 grain JSP .224 bullet from the 220 swift found its mark.

Nice clean hunt, nice assist from Joe on the field dress, just perfect. I was showing him stuff as we did the field dressing. Asked him if he wanted to bring the heart home. "Heck yeah" he says.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Awesome work from the Preacher, @ 220 decibels, he did smite the mighty fuzzy wind chime, soon to be freezer pleaser, along with a healthy assist from his bestest partner, Northern Dad !!

Got clean computer screen now, due to "RhinoRoo" !

cool

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"