Congrats to "Falls in Water". She'll always remember that first deer.

Great tribute to Uncle Dusty, Dave. We did the same thing with my brothers ashes.

I've had to carry the stick od shame several times. Funny, I remember the misses better than I recall some of my kills.

My first miss was the most memorible. 1971 season. Last morning, temp was around minus 20 and the wind was howling. For some unknown reason I decided that I should go out and give it one more try. I had so many clothes on I waddled out to my stand. Ten minutes on stand and my eyes were nearly frozen shut and the snot running out my nose was forming ice cycles. Looked to my right and here comes a heard of deer trotting my way. Had to be at least a dozen. They were about 100 yards out in front of me and not a horn in the lot that I could see. Than at the very back of the heard was a small fork horn. I pulled up my model 94, 30-30 with open sights and tried to hold on the buck. I was shaking from the cold so bad that I missed big time. All I had to show for the season was my empty case and my name in the camp log with the notation "One bad shot".

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.