Originally Posted by Stan_in_SC
I always thought I would like ice fishing.I cannot concieve of ice thick enough to support onr person much less 10,000 people.
Flag,what's a flag used for?

Stan

A flag is on a tip up... a tip up is a elementry (at best) fishing reel on a board that goes over the top of the hole drilled in the ice. On the reel, you spool your line, and attach the chosen lure/bait to the hook at the end of it.

There is a little post on the reel that holds the "flag" down. When a fish grabs the bait and runs, the spool turns, releasing the flag. The flag tips up and waves in the wind.

When you see the flag, you throw everything you are holding into the air, and run as fast as a fat man can run while wearing long underwear, jeans, charhhart bibs, sweat shirt, flannel shirt, a carrhart jacket, three pairs of socks, and choppers, can run. then you move the tip up off the hole, check to make sure the line is still coming out, and tug on the line setting the hook.

When the line tugs back, you start reeling in the line by hand and hope there is still a fish on it when it reaches the hole.

This gets real intersting some times because more that one "flag" will go at a time. Then all hell breaks loose and it looks like a rummage sale on the ice until everybody picks up their clothing they trew off trying to land a 17" walleye. grin

Camp is where you make it.