Originally Posted by Grizzly_Bill
How long did it take you to get it running Dave? I noticed it had new hoses, belt and distribitor cap and possibly a new generator.

Are you going to leave the 6 volt system in tact or convert to a 12 volt?

We had it sputtering in less than a half an hour and we had it sustaining idle & pulling fuel on it's own in about an hour. We had a little trouble with the cork gasket on the sedement bowl for the fuel pump. It was sucking air past the cork gasket. Me and Nate made a new temporary gasket out of a tire innertube. Nice rubber gasket.

I don't know about converting, I need to research that some more. I need to know if the starter can handle the 12 volts and I also need to find out if a 12 volt conversion can still run possitive ground like the original 6 volt system does.

my hunch is that all I need is a single wire (internally regulated) alternator and a voltage drop to 6 for feeding the gauges in the dash.

But I'm not sure, there's probably more to it. Probably some ignition (distributor related) changes need to be made too? [/quote]

I've been out of the loop so long Dave that I really don't recall all that's needed to accomplish the voltage change. I'd definitly go for it though if it isn't to big a deal. A lot of the old 6 volt systems hated cold weather and would refuse to start once the temps hit zero. The old 6 volt batteries just didn't have the needed cranking amps to get the job done. I spent a lot of time as a kid helping my dad and grandfather jump start those old systems. Of course the fact that a lot of the old timers still had 20 or 30 weight oil in the crankcase didn't help either.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.