Tom,
That sounds pretty tasty. I've been cooking them in cream sauce with a little bacon and misc stuff and served over wild rice (real wild rice). I sort of make it up as I go. Your idea sounds pretty good and easy too.

I've been cooking pheasant in mole sauce and that is just about incredible but I'm addicted to mole.

The bird was one of a group I call The 4 Amigos. I have seen them often. Today, I set up in the corner of a field that hangs over a small river. I knew they, and maybe a big solo gobbler would be roosting somewhere along the edge. As it turns out, just 100 yds away, maybe less. On the roost they sure sounded like gobblers, but this guy has only a 5" beard and nubs for spurs, though well worn nubs they are. I'd almost say this is a second year bird, but probably a jake. He weighed 18 lbs on my antique fish scale. Not sure if it is even close to accurate.

Anyway, they flew down and were supposed to walk down the deer trail to me where I was lying underneath a fallen tree. But instead, they crossed straight out into the grass on the edge of a bean field. 35ish yds out, maybe more but on my right side, and with no cover. I switched the shotty to the other shoulder and fired. He went down but then got back up and started running at an angle away. Got the gun back on my right shoulder and hit him again and he was down for keeps. That second shot was a carefully paced 40 yds. The first, maybe just a little closer, but not much. He was not well shot.

Saw lots of birds in Wisconsin last weekend when I drove up and back to Lodi for a match. Looks like it should be good hunting up there too.

Next year, the Three Amigos will be nice birds for sure.

Brent

Save an elk, shoot a cow.