Originally Posted by tzone
If you're not real experienced at pouring concrete, I'd try to pour one at a time per truck. It NEVER goes as easy as you think it will.

Get your steel for the walls up and tied before and have them tied into the dam. Keep them off the edge of the forms 2" so you can get the mud down past them with the stone in it.

Make a "key way" for the walls to sit on the dam. You can do it easily enough with a 2x4 placed on the top, center, of the dam when you pour it. Pull it out later in the day or even the next day. That will help lock the wall into the dam.

thanks Tom, I like the keyway Idea for walls, I was going to pour the footer with just rebar through it, but I'll do both I think.

here's a rough sketch of what I have planned. I might make the wingwalls straight instead of angled out. with a 3' width it should be more than stout enough.
[Linked Image]

drawing doesn't show it, but I want to do a 6" x12" footer under the wing walls that will be exposed on the bottom center where the flow goes through. stoplogs will be used to back the water up so it can go out the 12" outlet pipe into the fields to irrigate through gated pipe.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.