3 years today.

Time goes by so fast, we've all put 3 years distance between a tragic death and present day. We've done a lot of things with the 3 years but today just feels like day 1 moving forward. It's really the start of year 4 though. I put the shoe on the other foot every now and then, ask myself what I would like for everybody to do in my absence if it were me that was gone and rather my best friend was still here. I realize that I certainly couldn't ask any more of anybody. Camp chickenbuck and friends are doing a good job.

I couldn't have seen my future taking this shape 3 years ago today. The truth is 3 years ago today I couldn't see a future at all, nothing seemed to matter. There was just awful pain and disbelief.

We've done well though, we've all done very well. We built a cabin, established a camp, hunted deer together, hunted grouse, picked wild berries, trail riding both summer and winter. We've laughed and we've cried, we cut the firewood, we've burned the firewood. We've hunted elk in Colorado together, we've fished sturgeon on the US/Canadian border. We've camped the boundary waters canoe area hardcore with canoes and heavy packs on our backs. We've told stories around the fire, we've lived adventures that will be tomorrows campfire stories.

We've done so much more, the kids have grown so much in 3 years.

We're doing well, lets keep going.

My best friend died 3 years ago today, my cousin. Godfather to my children, a big brother to Muffy, a son to Dusty. A husband, father of 3, dearest friend to Rooster(Jim) and to most anyone he ever met.

His smile and laugh cannot be forgotten, it's impossible to forget his positive energy and love of life. I made a promise 3 years ago to adopt certain qualities of his personality and try to make them part of my life, part of how I make decisions. I'd like to thank him for living so well and for providing such qualities to be utilized.

We mark another year on the wall and we keep moving with our lives. For what it is worth, to all those reading this that are reflecting on this same landmark day, feeling the same pain..

I'm proud of you all and thank you for helping me these past 3 years. We know this is his week, the day of his death and the day of his birth all in the same week. He would turn 40 later this week. And I�m pretty sure he's proud of all of us.

To all others reading on, please raise a glass in honor of Waylon D (Dusty) Karsten.

Thank you Waylon, for everything.

I'll be taking the rest of the day off, we're running down to spend some time with the kids today. Maybe see some of you down there today.

Something clever here.