We got down to Cale’s deer quick. It was dead in the flat. Kendra and I started to look for blood from the buck. We found it quick. Cale an Ryan joined us following the trail. Ryan went up ahead to look for a body as we followed blood. We had 50-60 yards of good blood and then it quit.

We found a few more drops as he started to side hill the steep slope. That quit too. I was getting nervous. I figured if he was running up that steep ass hill, he wasn’t hit hard at all. It was a nasty steep, rocky, tangle. We just started grid searching and looking for horns or a belly sticking out (besides mine).

Cale yelled out he found blood. Then, excitedly said “I found lots of it dad!”

I was way up at the top of that hell hole praying and hoping for a Hail Mary. Cale gave it to me. Eagle eye found the buck.

That sucker ran straight up a mountain with two leaking holes.

I was last to arrive at the party and was very happy with the deer laying in front of us. We were all excited but knew what was coming. We had to pack two deer back to the trucks.

Here is what I walked up on.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Ryan slid him down the hill to a better spot for pics and skinning/quartering.

The shot there is the entrance. I hit him a little high and caught the onside lung. I had him ranged for 260 but he was probably a bit closer. The exit was just behind the last rib.

Shot with a Win M70 fwt, in .280 Rem and Federal 150gr power shock factory rounds.

Ryan and his family were a blast as always. And thank you for all the help!

It was a wonderful hunt with great friends, in a place I love. It really doesn’t get much better than that!

Last edited by tzone; 11/16/20.

Camp is where you make it.