Originally Posted by tzone
Same deal where I hunt Dpole, nothing brings 'em in like a salt block. I put one on a stump in '02, the block and stump are long gone but the critters are still eating the moss and dirt on the swampy ground. The ground is a muskeg type soil, and in a 10' radius around the old stump the ground is hard as a rock from all the deer standing there.

Tom

The deer are REALLY hitting the mineral and salt licks right now. This is the time to have them out. I swear that I can see their horns growing. I usually just put out a "red block" with a salt block, to force them to eat the mineral block. You guys have got me thinkin' now! I really don't know what the mineral mix in the blocks is for; cow/doe-fetus health? Probably not horn growth, as the livestock industry doesn't need horn growth. It looks like I have another project to research. Anyone know the composition of the commercial "deer' mineral recipes out there? And I suppose the commercial elk and deer breeders know this stuff. I'll have to call a couple of them.

A picture of a stump that I put a salt block on last fall. The stump will be gone by next spring.
[Linked Image]

There are many copies.