Since this is a sticky'd thread, I have to post something here that really impressed me, something I want folks to know about.

on the topic of an upcoming BWCA canoe camping trip.

Originally Posted by northern_dave
I have been trying to decide if I was going to rent light weight canoes this year or haul our old heavy junk along again this year.

Well the trip is getting close, so I have to figure it out.

I reserved a cabin for our group with a place called the gunflint lodge up on the gunflint trail near our entry point for our canoe trip. looks like a really nice place. The cabin reservation is for the night before we enter into our trip. This will allow us to get a good rest and start fresh in the morning only a few miles from our entry point.

Well this place rents gear like lightweight canoes.

So I went to their website this morning and clicked on a PDF link for 2011 rates.

Looking for canoe rental rates.

Well this got my eyes a little glossy, page 12 on the Rates page for Gunflint Lodge.

[Linked Image]

How cool is that?

Originally Posted by northern_dave
I called Gunflint Lodge to check on kevlar canoe rental.

I also asked if they could tell me about the veterans special I saw on their website.

He said it applies to Cabin rates.

He asked me if I was a veteran, I said yes actually, gulf war Marine combat vet.

Asked if I might have something handy that could state as such, I said sure, how about a DD214?

He said bring it, you just got your cabin for half price.

I tell you what, that's a big deal to me, means a lot.

It also helped me decide to leave my old canoes at home and rent from these folks.

Something clever here.