Stan,

nice poem. There are quite a few ghost bucks that met their maker via F-150. Kind of sad for those of us that chased them 'eh.

A few years ago there was a big bodied, tall racked, 9 pointer around there that I had been chasing durring bow season. I had seen him a few times from a distance, and even saw him make a rub on day in late October. Then on a rainy Thanksgiving night, on the way home from my father in law's house. I saw him trotting across a field. I slowed down as he got to the roads edge, but the SUV in front of me did not. She didn't even see him and smashed into him at 50mph and I got to watch it all.

I ran past the deer laying in the center of the road and paid no attention to it because I wanted to see if the lady was alright. She really creamed her Explorer and was shaken up, but no worse for the wear. The county cop drove past and whipped around to check on her too. He asked me for help pulling the buck out of the road. It was then I noticed that the rack was completly broken on one side and only had two points on the other. We pulled him into the ditch and I did a quick search in the road for the missing head gear. No luck and went on my merry way. Not a life changer, but I didn't bow hunt for the rest of the season. My heart just wasn't in it.

I did muzzle load for a few days but it was to no avail.

Tom

Camp is where you make it.