Dang, Nate's got whiskers! I remember when he was but a young lad. Congrats on a huge buck Nate! And T zone gets a fine buck in the thick stuff - Well done!

Last day of rifle here in Michigan. Weird year.

I got a 6-7pt on the opener at 4:30 in the afternoon. Public land, ladderstand, 35yds, using my dad's Model 100 Win 308. Shooting Interlocks too T-zone. Took out the top of the heart and part of the lung. Dropped right there. Some sharp broken ribs on the inside. I'm guessing 2 1/2 yr old, small rack, but longer snout. 6-7 because a sticker brow is 7/8thish long and much smart talkin' was done opening evening after certain libations of what a point is.

I have the same rifle as dad's, but wanted to use his as a nostalgia thing - it's been 3 years since he's passed and 8 years since that gun has been in the woods. I remember when he got the rifle, we were living in Escanaba around '68 and I was only 5 or so. I also remember him having Marbles put a recoil pad on - I thought it was for recoil - turns out I forgot he had orangutang arms so the length of pull is a bit long - like 14.5". She performed flawlessly and I'll have a pad put on to fit humans later. I'll send mine down the road soon.

I say it's a weird year because of the lack of hunters seen, shots heard, camps in the woods, trailers headed north for the opener or last Sunday, south. We have to travel 25 minutes to get to our spots including 5 minutes on blacktop, then gravel, and finally two tracks. We did not see one vehicle going in or out the first 3 days. Then a damn blizzard hit and dumped a bunch of snow. Nothing moved, we went home for the holiday week and headed back up T-giving afternoon. Never saw a hair that whole extended weekend - or a hunter. Strange. Mine was the only deer in camp. Never saw another deer hanging at the cabins around ours either. Weird year.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin