Although I release most of my fish, I have no problem with anybody eating anything they catch. I'm not one of those aloof guys that pretend they release because its moral. We all know they are just too lazy to clean 'em. smile

Snapping turtles are really good to eat. Probably way better than that old yellow slimer fillet you ate. That pike musta been eating some crawfish too, or had spent lots of time in warm water; they're often white-fleshed (and good eating) by the time they get over five pounds or so. Its all in the diet and/or water temp. They are usually yellow at small size because their diet includes insects and crawfish; when they move to an all-fish diet, they get white. Big pike like deep open water. Caught out of cold water, and having a cisco (for example) diet, a big, white-fleshed pike can be excellent table fare. But, I'm a bit spoiled, having all the trout, walleye, and cisco I want to eat.

Turtles are most active when its warm. They were probably there to eat the same dead stuff that the slimers were there for. Anyway, its called "turtle lake" for some reason?

And don't think your food pack will be safe just because you hang it from a tree, like most folks think. Them bears can be quite the acrobats.

[Linked Image]

Turtles like dead, stinky stuff. Was that waterskiing lady.......... oh, never mind. I better not go there.

Last edited by DPole; 06/18/08.

There are many copies.