Originally Posted by Stan_in_SC
Mmmmmmmmmmm.Ruger #1 in 45/70.Heap good gun Kemo Sabe.Takes a lickin and keeps on tickin.
50 gr. of Rel7 is quite stout.My plinking load is 40 gr. and a 300 Gr. bullet.I have been loading Remington JHP for several years but recently purchased 500 of the Meister brand in a cast round nose flat tip.They do well and just look good.There's just something about the look of a loaded cast bullet in a 45/70 that appeals to me.
So far I have found that a single shot in 45/70 is the mostest fun.My favorite is the lowly NEF Handi rifle topped with a El Paso Weaver scope of 2.5X with fine cross hairs.

Stan in SC

Stan, the #1 is a great rifle. This one could use a good trigger job though. 50 gr of Reloader 7 pushes a 300 grainer 1,900 fps according to the manual. Recoil is moderate. A pusy cat though compared to 405 grainers launched a nearly the same speed. The scope is a Bushnel Elite 3200 1.5 X 4.5 with the heavy fire fly recticle. The heavy recticle is not ideal for precise target shooting but works well in heavy cover. To activate the fire fly option all you do is shine a flashlite through the lens for a minute. The recticle will than glow for an hour. Works great in low light situations.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.